Merchandise Details
CHDA-Support the Horse License Plate Certificate
Member Price$44.00
Non-Member Price$44.00
Merchandise Description

To Purchase the Support the Horse License Plates 

Click Here

The special plates bear the image of a horse and the words, “Support the Horse.” Proceeds from the sale of the plates will benefit the Colorado Horse Industry by education and other programs of value to the horse industry in the state.


Q. How do I purchase the “Support the Horse” License Plates?

Getting your special plates is a 2-step process: (Electronic DMV program, July 1, 2018)

  1. Purchase an electronic certificate pin number directly from CHDA or at the Equine City Hall authorizing you to purchase the plates.  The electronic  Certificate pin number will come to you in an email to you phone or computer.
  2. When arriving at the DMV office, provide the County Clerk with the electronic pin number, pay the state’s special-plate fee plus your regular registration, and receive your new “Support the Horse” plates.

Q. How much do the plates cost?

Year 1 Costs - $90 plus vehicle registration fees and taxes.

  • $44to CHDA (proceeds to benefit the horse industry in Colorado)
  • $50 to Highway Users Tax Fund and Licensing Services Cash Fund (payable to DMV at the time of registration.)
  • Vehicle registration taxes and fees.

Year 2 and Beyond Costs = Normal vehicle registration taxes and fees

  • Vehicle registration taxes and fees.
  • At this time, you are not required to make an annual donation to keep the Support the Horse license plates.

Q. How do I obtain a certificate?

The electronic certificate pin can be purchased in any of these ways:

  • Purchase online here at the Equine City Hall by adding this item to your Shopping Cart.
  • Purchase online at the 

Contact:Colorado Horse Development Authority, 22 S, 4th Ave, 301, Brighton, CO 80601        

Call 303-292-4981 for more information.

Q. Can you email my certificate?

Yes, the entire process is electronic.  Once purchased, the Electronic Cetificate Pin  number  will be sent directly to your phone, tablet or computer, wherever you receive email.  

Q. Are the $44.00 and $50.00 one-time fees, or will I have to pay them each year?

Both are one-time fees only. Each year after that you will only have to pay your regular registration fee.

Q. Can I get personalized plates?

Yes. If you already have personalized plates and want to transfer them to a “Support the Horse” license plate you will need to go to and fill out a Personalized Plate Conversion form. There will be an additional fee of $60.00 to obtain personalized plates. Please be aware that when you choose personalized plates the logo of the horse will go away; you will have a solid green license plate with “Support the Horse” written across the bottom of the plate.

Q. Can I transfer my current plate number to a “Support the Horse” plate?

Unfortunately, this type of transfer is not allowed.

Q. What types of vehicles can I put the plate on?

“Support the Horse” license plates are made for cars, trucks, motor homes, motorcycles and farm trucks. Plates are not available for trailers and farm tractors.

Q. My current registration expires in a week, what can I do?

With the new electronic DMV system we can help you obtain your electronic certificate pin number within minutes.  It is best to order in advance of your trip to the DMV.  

Q. My current vehicle registration doesn’t expire until next year. Do I have to wait until then to get my “Support the Horse” license plates?

No you don't have to wait. Take the electronic certificate pin to your Colorado County Motor Vehicle office anytime. The DMV will issue a credit for any unused months left on your registration, and renew your plates for one year from the date of purchase.

Q. Can I take my application and donation to the DMV?

No, the DMV cannot issue the electronic certificate pin or accept the donation for CHDA.  The process starts with the purchase at the CHDA website or at the Equine City Hall.

Q. I live out of state. Can I still get a Support the Horse license plate?

Unfortunately these plates are only available to Colorado residents. The DMV cannot issue a license plate to an out of state vehicle.

Q. What does CHDA do with my $44.00?

The money collected by the Colorado Horse Development Authority funds statewide research, education, and advertising that enhances the horse industry in Colorado.

If any question has not been answered here, please Contact Us or call (303) 292-4981.

May 14, 2008 was a great day for equus Coloradus—the horses in Colorado—when Governor Bill Ritter signed Senate Bill 178 into a law creating a special license plate honoring the contributions the horse industry makes to the culture and economy of Colorado. The bill was sponsored by Senator Jim Isgar and Representative Marsha Looper, both strong proponents of the state’s agricultural interests.